The First 5 Breaths For Every Day.
When that alarm goes off instead of leaping out of bed or hitting snooze, start your day positively by trying this easy and effective breathing technique.
Start by sitting up in bed, stacking the pillows up behind you so you're upright and comfortable. Then close your eyes and focus on your breathing with the following 5 types of conscious breaths:
1. Breathe in and out deeply 3 times, with each inhale and exhale say to yourself alternately: "I am breathing in. I am breathing out". This will bring your focus to your breathing, it will help your mind remain calm and still and prevent it sliding straight into the first thoughts that arise when you awaken.
2. For the next 3 breaths: "Breathing in I am aware of my whole body. Breathing out, I am aware of my whole body". As you do this you allow yourself to connect with your entire body, taking yourself out beyond your mind and expanding your awareness of self.
3. Following 3 breaths: "I am breathing in and making my whole body calm and at peace. I am breathing out and making my whole body calm and at peace". This takes your awareness one step further by creating harmony between mind and body.
4. For a further 3 breaths: "I am breathing in and feeling happy. I am breathing out and feeling happy." With this breath you have connected with feeling, tuning into your emotions and creating happiness as the first feeling for your day. This sets you up with a positive outlook from the start.
5. Final 3 breaths: "I am breathing in and making the activities of my mind calm and at peace. I am breathing out and making the activities of my mind calm and at peace." Your mind will be beginning to become active, with this breath you acknowledge your thoughts but you also instil peace and set the tone in a positive and peaceful way.